(No this is not a pregnancy announcement, thank you very much!)
Tonight, Clint and I took our foster son's parents to Steak N Shake for dinner. The last time, I talked with them was at the boys visit on Wednesday. B (their dad) really concerned me as he just appeared to be defeated, the way he walked, held his head, his whole countenance. I hated that. And D (their mom) gave me reasons to be concerned as well.
Well I just have to say, I felt so happy tonight as the light was back in their eyes as we talked to them, laughed with them, and even when we challenged them. While we were out, black clouds rolled in and the winds picked up significantly. Clint said, "This reminds me of Jesus and the Storm. Do you know that story?" Neither one had heard of it and so there in our car, Clint told a bible story that I have known since childhood. They listened intently and were surprised that Jesus was able to calm storm with only words. What a Powerful, Amazing God...
Before going out, Clint and I had talked about buying D some maternity clothes. So, after dinner we headed over to Target. As we walked in, I looked at her and said, "Let's go get you some maternity clothes!" She was truly surprised and gave me a big hug. As we walked into the maternity section, I could tell she was a little overwhelmed and feeling out of her element. So I just took charge, picking out clothes for her to try on and then whisked her off to the fitting rooms.
It was so much fun to pamper her! She told me later, "I've never had maternity clothes before." Never. And this is baby #4. Much less, new maternity clothes. With great sincerity she said, "This is so special."
B and D are always so appreciate and thankful when we take them out (this is only the second time). They seem to take our advice to heart and I know they know we care about them. I realize that they have made many mistakes in their lives and many would refer to them or people like them in ways that makes me cringe but regardless of their past, B and D were created by God. Just like you and I. He loves them, He has an incredible plan for their lives. He longs for them to turn to Him. We want the best for them and yet we realize that they have so many things going against them. The road ahead is hard. It is difficult. I don't know what their future holds but the Lord has given us the privilege of planting some seeds and of showing them His love and you just never know what might come of it all.
One thing is certain, I am changing because of this. My eyes are being opened. Thank You Jesus.
Oh, and tonight she asked me if I would be there in the hospital with her, while she's giving birth. Breathe Jami, breathe. I just hope I don't pass out! But truly, what an incredible honor.
Will you please pray for them?
Friday, August 13, 2010
maternity shopping
Labels: our foster care journey
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Jami, I just have to say how thankful I am that you are so transparent. Tonight the Lord really spoke to me thru you... reminding me that He calls me to love others unconditionally and how important it is to show kindness and compassion but that I must look for the abundant opportunities He puts in my path. Thanks Jami! The Lord is using you in B & D's life but also in all of ours that follow your story here.
Wow, what a neat experience Jami! I echo your thoughts at the end of your post about how God created them just like he did you and me. Through our adoption journey so far God has been really working in my heart to see the same thing! My heart's desire and prayer is like that song by Jonny Diaz says "Help me to love like You loved, to serve like you served." I want to see people the way God sees them and love them unconditionally like God does. I'm definately a work in progress but it warms my heart to read an experience like this and see how God is working in both your life and B&D's lives. Love you Jam!
I love hearing these stories of yours. You are a blessing to them and to all of us. We have opportunity all around is...it's just a matter of noticing and then acting. Thank you for your steps out in faith and love and compassion. They inspire.
Thanks for a great post! Really spoke to my heart.
Just wanted to let you know that your story was used in my husband's sermon today when he was talking about practical applications of faith. Our morning service covered Hebrews 11, and your story was the perfect tie-in for the afternoon service! Thank you for showing faith in action!
What a neat experience, Jami. Thanks for sharing God's love! Love you :)
Post a Comment