Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Hanging up my running shoes....

and putting on the cross trainers!

Clint says these look kind of manly (except for the pink). He's right, they kind of do but I bought em' and I like em'.

I am definitely not a runner. Not even at heart - though I've tried, really I have. My hubs was a runner. He won 2nd place in state back in high school, yes he did. He rarely runs anymore, but he could. He's one of those people who is naturally gifted in the athletic department. Oh that man.

Because of this, I did try to pick up running when we first got engaged. In fact, I got to the point where I could run two whole miles and I was really proud of myself. So much so that at my first gynecologist appoint. (which I was extremely nervous about), when the Dr. asked me "Are you active?" My first thought was (well, I can run two miles!) and I told him "Kind of, I do some running!" To which he looked at me with slight disdain and said "No, are you sexually active?" "Oh no!! I'm engaged!" I told him.

Ahem.

Then after we got married, we tried running together and one time I literally started hyperventilating (it was cold outside!) and while keeled over to catch my breath, a car pulled up to see if we needed help. My poor new husband had to tell them we were just fine. Not one of my best moments.

And that takes us to the present day. The other day Clint and I were walking the track together and we got the brilliant idea to run a little. At this point in my life, I am no stranger to the gym. Until recently, I used to teach power and step classes and I like to (on occasion) rub that in to him. All in fun of course!

So nine laps, makes a mile and by lap four I was already telling him I needed to walk. Side ache!! He complied and laughed and shook his head at me. We did pick it back up and ran the last four laps.

So I ran a mile!! (minus one)

The next day, I was in so much pain. Never had shin splints but thinking I might have gotten them. After almost one mile!! I'm a mess, I tell you. I decided it MUST have been the shoes. And so yesterday I went out to by some new shoes (because my other shoes really were worn down, seriously now.) But, since I'm really not a runner, I opted for the cross trainers and that brings us back to the beginning of this post. Thank you very much.

6 comments:

Mindy said...

You make me laugh!! Your gyno appointment is still probably one of my all time favorite "Jami" stories! :)

And have no fear - I am not a natural runner either. I trained 3 weeks to run a 5k and haven't run since the race. :)

Kristy said...

YOU GO, GIRL!! :) Let me know if those new shoes help you to run farther! Maybe that's my problem, too... HA!

Bekah said...

hilarious jami. thanks for the good laugh about the gynecologist appt. so, so funny.

Smileyface said...

thanks for the laugh....you are too funny. love the new photo on the top of blog!

Janell said...

Too funny. What is it about running that makes it seem so glamorous? When people ask if I run (it comes up b/c Bart runs so much) I say I can't even call what I do running compared to him. :)

Leslie Ringger said...

oh jami lynn :) you funny girl, you.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin