One of my most consistent prayers for our kids is that they will look out for the underdog. I pray this nearly everyday with the girls and for Hudson and D when they go to preschool as well.
The other day, I asked Paige to pray for D before his bus came to pick him up for school. After praying with him, she looked up at me and said, "Mom, I don't think D knows who the underdog is."
Her words took me back as I thought, he is the underdog.
Our little D has some speech and cognitive delays which made him eligible for a developmental preschool that he attends every morning. D has seen much more in his young life (more than I even know) than I'm sure I have seen in all my years. He has been shuffled around a lot in his first years - his start very rough and that has affected him on many different levels.
Sometimes, this fact makes my heart just break for him and I want to pull him into my arms and pour out my love onto him and yet, other times I feel very frustrated with him and struggle more to love him in the way he needs.
He is our biggest challenge right now. He is our neediest. He is an almost four year old that often acts more like a two year old and that makes things difficult. He is not potty trained. He is hard to understand and communicate with. I have seen improvement but there are many times that I give him instructions and he just shuts down and won't comply.
Over and over I question myself. Does he really understand what I'm asking? Is he getting it or is he just being stubborn? Is structure so foreign to him that he will fight it time and time again? I pray for the Lord to fill me with supernatural love for my little D because I simply don't always want to love him. I hate that, but it's true.
His need for me makes me run to my Savior because I cannot give him (or anyone else for that matter) what they need without first being filled by Jesus. When I am weak, He is strong. So I'm praying for my little D. Praying that he will become a man who cares deeply for the underdog. A man who is full of wisdom and integrity. A man who first and foremost loves Jesus with an infectious passion. My job is to introduce D to the One who can meet every single one of his needs, the One who can make him complete and whole. Help me Jesus.
Thursday, October 7, 2010
who is the underdog?
Labels: our foster care journey
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Wow - I sure understand the struggle between wanting to scoop them up and love them...and wondering if they are purposely choosing to be obstinate! Prayers, friend!
Oh, that would be our Jasmine. Praying for you and for all foster parents, like us, who are seeking God's wisdom and strength to love these children where they are and teach them to love their creator!
That is the cutest thing ever with his GIANT back pack on his tiny back!! What an amazing thought that the underdog could someday be a man of integrity and care for the underdog!! Praise the Lord for the work He is already performing in those kids' lives!
Love the new header with all the feet! Very cute.
PRAYING WITH YOU FOR D!!! and all the "underdogs" in the WORLD!
I can definitely relate to this post. I am thankful I came upon your blog. How true - we need His wisdom so much!!
Post a Comment