Friday, October 22, 2010

when quiet time just isn't...quiet

Hey all! First off, I want to tell you that the promised "Everyone Has A Story" series is still coming - it just didn't make it off yesterday. And today, well, I just gotta write about today. Be watching because someday soon - on or before next Thursday, I will be introduced this new (and very exciting...well exciting to me and I do believe you will enjoy it as well) series.

Moving on.

Today started off quite lovely. I actually got a few things done. Put away three laundry baskets of clothes which will make my husband most happy because it's been sitting in our living room for nearly a week. (Mom, I need you!)

But then as 1:00pm approached, my head started throbbing and I felt so tired. I have been feeling a little run down the past few days - sinus pressure, stuffed nose, you know the pains. I always put the kids down for quiet time at 1:00 and sometimes they all fall asleep and sometimes they don't. Well today, as I collapsed on the sofa to get in a much needed nap, the children decided they were going to tag team their tears.

They are reeeally good at tag teaming.

Seriously, I think that one child was crying, calling out, or whining nearly the entire "quiet" time. They took turns. First one would cry and then quiet down, then a whine from the other room, and a "I have to go potty!!" from another and then another cry from the basement bedroom.

I grabbed my Bible and devotional to go sit on my porch to get a brief moment or two of silence and what did I see lying on the deck right in front of my favorite slingback chair...a DEAD BIRD!!

Lord have mercy!

I didn't have the guts to pick it up and throw it somewhere so I just sighed and decided I could handle it inside with the little ones. But I am rethinking that decision. The bird would have been quieter.

Anyway, I had to share what I read in my devotional because you know, the Lord is just so personal and He never ceases to amaze and encourage my heart. I also had to share because it's kind of my own therapy - writing it out here. Makes me feel like I'm not alone.

Maybe you needed to hear this today too.

"No matter what your circumstances may be, you can find Joy in My Presence. On some days Joy is generously strewn along your life-path, glistening in the sunlight. On days like that, being content is as simple as breathing the next breath or taking the next step.

Other days are overcast and gloomy; you feel the strain of the journey, which seems endless. Dull gray rocks greet your gaze and cause your feet to ache. Yet Joy is still attainable. Search for it as for hidden treasure..." (Jesus Calling by Sarah Young)

It goes on but I want to take you over to Proverbs 2 which reads, "My child" (I get teary just thinking about how tender these words are). He says, "My child, listen to what I say and treasure my commands, tune your ears to wisdom and concentrate on understanding. Cry out for insight and ask for understanding. Search for them as you would for silver, seek them like hidden treasures. Then you will understand what it means to fear the Lord and you will gain knowledge of God. For the Lord grants wisdom!"

Oh how desperately I need His wisdom as I walk this life's journey and to think He offers it freely! Lord may my ears be open to your voice today and help me to walk forward in obedience.
I hope your day today was sunny and bright but if it has felt a little more gloomy, remember that HE is here waiting to nourish your soul. To hold Your hand and give you JOY in the midst.

And know that you're not alone. We're in this thing together, I'm so thankful for the Body of Christ!

2 comments:

Jess said...

Yes. I needed that today. You are not alone. Our "quiet" time went the same as yours did. I actually thought, "God, I am reading my Bible before I fall asleep, can't you keep them asleep while at least while I read?" I am reading Jesus Calling too, but am on a different day. Mine was about living in thankfulness. I needed to hear both yours and mine. Have a good weekend. 4 more till I see you!!!

Jami said...

jess, i am seriously so excited for you to come! love you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin