Thursday, October 14, 2010

"you have your hands full!"

The other day, I took the two youngest to the Dr. I was pushing Baby B in the stroller and had L on my hip. An older man walked by me, smiled and said "My, you have your hands full!" I smiled back and said "Yes I do!" But it struck me so funny. I wanted to say, this is nothing (not really nothing of course, but you know what I mean) - there are four more back home!!

You would think I'd hear this comment more but what I've found is that when Clint and I are out with the kids, we more often just get crazy looks and sometimes sweet smiles. People don't usually say much - I think we bring confusion! Though the other night at a local pumpkin farm a very kind man walked up to us while we were eating and said, "I just want you to know I'm very impressed with your family." That was pretty cool.

I've also received "the look" from a few people especially when I'm out with the 4 littles. It's interesting you know, there are three different ethnicitys among us. One day while walking through Walmart with the three youngest (before little sis joined our crew), I walked by an older lady who looked and me and my kids and then sighed rather obviously and rolled her eyes at me!

Oh how I wanted to tell her my story.

But then I thought about the time earlier that week when I was picking up my kids at school. We were walking behind two Jr. high students dressed in black and acting a little obnoxiously. Instead of feeling love for them, I did just as the lady in the grocery store did. I sighed and rolled my eyes. They didn't see me but that doesn't matter. My heart had been so wrong and I was being incredibly judgmental. When I got a similar look from that lady in Walmart, I hated it but the Spirit quickly reminded me of my own sin.

We just have no business judging. Unfortunately, it comes so naturally but it is sin. Everyone has a story. Lord, give me Your eyes for the world!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, to see the beauty of Heaven and know that we'll ALL be standing together, praising Him.

Praying that God would convict my heart daily of similar sin.

Thanks for sharing.

sarah.flyingkites said...

true, true!! Everyone DOES have a story - love this reminder, Jami! Something I tell myself often!!

Jess said...

I used to worry about those looks at walmart, especially when I'd go out with Jadon and Eliza without my wedding ring on. Then I realized that worry was out of my own judgment of when I'd see mom's with children I thought would be from different men. We all have such sinful reactions don't we? I am thankful for what God is doing in your family and I am so thankful for the encouragement you received from the man at the pumpkin patch. May we all give that encouragement instead of judgment when needed!

Deanna said...

I have had similiar when out with my two able bodied kiddos. I LOVE to respond with and SOOO is MY HEART!!!

Amanda said...

Amazing how the "large family" comments vary in intent, isn't it? My childhood favorite always was, "Are these all yours?". Being part of a large family is a wonderful gift you are giving ALL your children, biological and otherwise. :) Praying you find rest and joy in our Savior today.

Jami said...

Oh Christie, that will be a beautiful sight!! Nice to meet you by the way. I look forward to getting to know you more! :)

Jami said...

Sarah - I wish it wasn't so easy to judge. Thankful for grace and for the Holy Spirit who reminds us often. Thankful for you too!

Jami said...

Jess - I definitely can relate. Thanks for your encouragement! I love you my friend! Can't wait for November!!

Jami said...

Deanna -

I love your response - that's great!! Thanks for coming by! :)

Jami said...

Oh thanks Amanda - it's good to hear positive feedback from someone who came from a big family!

Jami said...

Oh thanks Amanda - it's good to hear positive feedback from someone who came from a big family!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin