Sunday, October 3, 2010

Paige's thoughts on foster care

The other day I sat my girls down to ask them a few questions about foster care to see how much they understand about what we're doing and to get more of a idea about how they feel about it. I loved hearing what they had to say and I typed furiously while they were talking in hopes to catch every word. Here are our firstborn, Paige's thoughts on the subject.


Paige: age 7 1/2

What is foster care?
"Foster care is when mom and dads cannot take care of their children because they are not taking care of them the way they should. Then the foster children have to go to a new house that does not have children that are in the foster care because if they go to a family that have children in the foster care then those families will not be able to take care of those other kids that were given to them in the foster care because they're gonna be exactly how they were to their other kids that were in foster care so they have to learn how to take care of their kids and then they can be foster parents but first the foster kids that were given to them should go to parents that know how to take care of kids better.

And then when the foster kids real parents are done being trained, then if they're still bad then the foster parents that are taking care of them will adopt them and if they are not bad and ready to take care of their kids then they can take them and keep them forever, unless they get bad again."

Why does our family foster?
"Because we want to help the kids that are in the process of being in foster care and we also want to help them because that is what God and Jesus told us to do and the Holy Spirit told us to do. But it was very hard for us because my parents already had 3 kids of their own - me, my brother and my sister and then we added 2 more and then we got their sister and now we have 3 foster kids so that would make 6 kids and its real hard. The end."
Are you glad that we foster?

"Yes, I'm glad because I have more people to play with and more options of people to play house with or explore in our backyard."

Why do you think more people don't foster?

"Because most people don't do it because that wasn't God's plan for them. They probably have another thing that they're doing that is God's plan."

If someone felt like God was telling them to foster, what would you tell them?

"I would tell them that if God is calling them to do this, then do it but they don't need to do if they want to do it, God might have another plan for them and they'll be too busy that they'll find that they cannot do it all."

Do you think you will foster someday?

"Well I don't really know because I just have to follow what God says but I'd love to foster. It would be fun. There is a lot of stuff and a lot of kids who are suggesting what stuff they could do so I think that would be nice."

5 comments:

Leslie Ringger said...

what a kid.

Jeanie Bree said...

Wise beyond her years!

Ashley Baner said...

Oh Paigey~ You gotta love this girl!! She is SO her mother's daughter!! I love how you are instilling all this into them at such a young age and in such a real way. We have not been called to foster/adopt(yet) but I am thankful there are people who are!! Everyone does their part in God's kingdom and I thank Him that you are willing to do this HUGE part right now!! Love you!!

Marla said...

I love her second sentence:)

Kristy said...

LOVED reading Paige & Rae's thoughts :) I could just picture each of them just talking away...MUCH more mature than their age, of course ;) Give 'em squeeze from Aunt Kristy!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin